At Hemlington Hall Academy, our children are provided the foundations for understanding the world through engaging, purposeful activities to develop and secure knowledge, methods, processes and uses of science. Through verbal, practical and written tasks, children develop a sense of excitement and curiosity about natural phenomena and are encouraged to understand how science can be used to explain what is occurring, predict how things will behave, and analyse causes.
The primary intent for our Science curriculum:
- To develop and ignite children’s curiosity and questioning.
- To give children confidence to explore and discover the world around them so that they develop a deeper understanding of the world in which they live.
- Practical and enjoyable science curriculum to inspire and excite our children and foster a thirst for knowledge.
- Understand that ‘working scientifically’ is at the heart of science and this rich and varied science curriculum gives the children opportunities to investigate and ask questions.
- Dual objective planning ensures that skills and knowledge and delivered side by side.
- Understand that scientific knowledge is usually factual, not an opinion