This half-term Year One will be learning about Animals Around The World.
Year 1 Homework
Spelling is given out every Thursday and tested the following Thursday. Please ask your child to practise writing them down as well as spelling them out loud. To understand the meaning of the words it is good practice to write them into sentences to understand them in context.
It is very important and will benefit your children’s learning to read with them at least three times a week. The children need to bring their book to school when they have read it as they will then be given a new book. Please ensure the children are not only reading the words but they understand what they have read. Please see below some questions to ask your child when reading.
Before reading the book:
• Can you point to the title? or What is this? (pointing to the title)
• What do you think this story will be about? What might happen in the story?
• What do we call the writing on the back of the book? (Blurb) or What does the blurb tell us?
During the reading of the book:
• What is happening in the pictures?
• What has happened so far?
Is it what you expected to happen?
• What might happen next? How do you think the story might end?
• What sort of character is….? Is he/she friendly/ mean/ nice…?
At the end of the book:
• Did you like this book? Why? (Encourage children to develop their opinion about books by encouraging them to explain their reasons)
• What was your favourite part? Why?
• What was the most interesting/ exciting part of the book? Can you find it?
• What sort of character was….?
• Why did that character do … (give a situation/ event from the story)?
• What happened in the story?
Hemlington Hall Academy is part of the Lingfield Education Trust a company limited by guarantee (company no. 08027885) and exempt charity registered in England and Wales at Suite J-K Lingfield House, Lingfield Point, Darlington, DL1 1RW